Rupert,

I doubt volunteer accounting is fun; most people actually hate it. Further
mor, most people actually can not do it as it should at all. No wonder this
is a separate profession.

People can discuss your statement that wikipedia is not multinational on
200+ language version wikipedias :)

It is global and it is multinational.

About half of the WMF staff was born and raised (and lived most of their
lives) outside the USA, including the past and the present EDs. Or check
the finance fellows for example :)

Accounting is the core of all activities; try not doing your personal tax
report and you'll see.

Wherever a single penny is changing hands, it has to be reported and
properly accounted. It is not only required by the law everywhere but
required for the sake of transparency and _accountability_

Balázs