I think this discussion and the uproar is only in part because of the
wordings used, the size of the banners (which are maybe terrible, and I get
exhausted from seeing the banner all year round because I have bad luck to
be in so many test groups somehow). A big chunk is about the usual:
communication. Somehow we seem to be unable to set up a communication
workflow where the community feels that they have been involved in the
process. That they have been able to contribute ideas, thoughts,
improvements.

Life is not all about A/B testing and success rates. Keeping Wikipedia up
is not just about getting enough money as quickly as possible. It is much
more about growing the community, and involving it - using its strengths
and diversity on as many places as possible. And somehow, in the field of
fundraiser and everything surrounding that there seems to be a lot to be
improved.

I don't agree things can't get better. After the Wikipedia Forever drama,
things did get better. Communication was improved a lot, and both chapters
and individuals were actively involved. Unfortunately, it seems that it has
gotten worse since. I would appreciate efforts to improve this again.And
that has to be more than just asking suggestions for more A/B testing. It
may cost more work in the short run, but I sincerely believe that in the
long run, it is worth it: better results, more creativity and less
frustration.

Best,
Lodewijk