On 31 December 2014 at 18:43, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Megan Hernandez <mhernan...@wikimedia.org
> >
> wrote:
>

> > The blue banners at the top of the page do show up more than one time.
> If
> > you close these banners, you won't see anymore banners.
> >

> That's not my experience here. I've clicked the blue banner away at least
> three or four times this month. It keeps coming back.

I've had the same experience as Andreas - I have had to inactivate the
banners multiple times on every computer I use.  In fact, I've had banners
almost 90% of the time when I go to Wikipedia without logging in, cookies
or no cookies.

Frankly, I am increasingly of the belief that Fundraising has sounded a
klaxon alarm without any concern whatsoever about *next year*.  The fact
that the editorial community doesn't see the banners on a regular basis
anymore is the only thing that has kept the voices of the community quiet;
we tend not to complain too much about things we don't see.  Frankly, I'd
rather the fundraiser fell short of its goals (recognizing that there would
be other impacts within the organization) than continue the current
trajectory; I've had complaints from just about everyone who knows I edit
Wikipedia about the banners, including a handful who said they were "former
donors" who decided not to give this year because of how obnoxious the
banners were.   There's little doubt in my mind that more and more people
are blocking those banners already - the more annoying they get, the more
people block them, and the smaller the potential contribution pool.  We're
starting to chase our own tails here.

Risker/Anne