I have to say I'm quite surprised by this as well. It seems a real departure
from the norm and even though I've been told first hand that WMF would never
choose Australia as a venue for a Wikimania due to cost (and the shift to a
Europe/North America/elsewhere rotating format demonstrates this) but it's
still very disheartening for those that have started preparing a bid only to
find out it's a complete waste of their time.

Steve Crossin
Sent from my iPhone