On 4 October 2015 at 15:17, Mathias Damour <mathias.dam...@laposte.net>
wrote:

> Le 04/10/2015 05:36, Craig Franklin a écrit :
>
>> I take your point Pine, but "improving communication with the community"
>> seems to have been a WMF priority for as long as I can remember, yet there
>> doesn't seem to have been any consistent improvement, as we can see here.
>> A new approach and direction to how matters like this are communicated is
>> clearly needed, because the current one doesn't seem to be working at all.
>>

> I wouldn't say that the WMF communication is simply bad, it is pretty
> professional.

​The communication team are good, but this isnt the fault of the
communication team but rather the Wikimania Committee. Its outright
disgusting and heads should roll for the last ten-twelve years Wikimania
bidding and process have been in one place on meta, and even now this place
continue to imply that nothing has changed. A month before the whole
process starts it get shelved in secret for a new process.  The people
involved on the Wikimania Committee know a bid starts months before the
actual bidding process opens.

As for the process
In returning to North America within two years, it will now be 2018 5 uears
since it last was outside of these two regions before anywhere else will
see the event, given its already been stated as SE Asia that also means
that Africa, Middle East, Oceana, South America, the Sub continent and
Eastern Europe will have to wait until 2021 for an opportunity even then
only one will get that.

This doesnt create incentive for people to be involved with Wikimania
planning , in fact it clearly states that if your outside of Europe or
North America your really not part of our movement but we'll tolerate you
to make us look like we care, and we're global in Europe.   There was
nothing wrong with the Wikimania  process as it stood we all knew going
that it takes a lot of energy, time and resources for potentially no
return.... now there's nothing there's no incentive its going to be 6,9,12
years before other communities will be given some crumbs

> ​ ​
>
> It may rather be that an open communication and keeping control on the
> greater part of the decisions (or even conducting the users of the projets
> themself, as an average internet company does), are "two tendancies that
> are not fully compatible" (to borrow Florence's words).
>
> --
> Mathias Damour
> [[User:Astirmays]]

GN.