It would be a step called professionalisation, too, if the WMF would use the amount of money they collected and still collecting and pay for writers and content. For sure it would be more professional. But it would not be the Wikipedia project thousands of volunteers work for anymore.

And that's the same point I see for Wikimania.

Steffen