Hi,
This explanation is really appreciated and it helps to understand a point
of view. The problem is that it's "a" point of view.

We can define it as a "change management". In this explanation are missed
some points.

The first point is the mapping of the stakeholders and to define what the
stakeholders think of this change and how they can influence or block this
change.

This point is really important and it's considered as "initiation phase" of
a change. Without this mapping a project can easily fail.

The second missed point is the communication.

A change should demonstrate to introduce several benefits and to be
efficient. Basically after the mapping, the communication helps to keep the
support of those stakeholders.

Personally I have seen big projects to fail cause a bad communication and
the creation of a block and of a resistance to the change in important
stakeholders. This is a risk that should be considered because this risk
can block any change even if good and rational.

A change cannot be "imposed" because WMF is an open system interacting with
the environment.

I remember that Sue Gardner, when introduced the strategic plan, spent a
long session during the chapters meeting in Berlin in order to communicate
and to collect feedbacks from the chapters considered an important
stakeholder.

Probably her strategic plan was weaker, but the introduction generated
lesser discussion and conflicts.

Kind regards

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Lila Tretikov <l...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> This has not been easy.
>

> In practice this means I demanded that we set standards for staff
> communication with our community to be professional and respectful. It
> meant transitioning people, shutting down pet projects, promoting some but
> not others, demanding goals and results to get funding. This level of
> change is necessary to set up our organization to address the challenges of
> the next decade.
>

> All of this means stepping away from our comfort zones to create capacity
> for building programs and technologies that will support us in the future.
> It is a demanding and difficult task to perform an organizational change at
> this scale and speed.
>

> I believe that in order to successfully serve our community and humanity,
> the WMF has deliver best-of class technology and professional support for
> community. This will ensure we are delivering significant impact to
> volunteer editors and opening avenues for new types of contributions. This
> requires that we choose the route of technical excellence for the WMF with
> support and encouragement from our community partners. Without this
> empowerment, the WMF will not succeed.
>

> The world is not standing still. It will not wait for us to finish our
> internal battles and struggles. Time is our most precious commodity.
>

> Lila

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens