Hello

I am with all of those who see this as a positive thing. But perhaps a bit
of gentle curation of their initial experience could be the "fix" that is
needed rather than just cutting any fledgeling editors off altogether. How
about the following ...

reader decides to edit
> clicks on edit button
> directed to registration
> then to a step by step introduction to initial editing with links
(simplified pillars, neutrality, info about media)
> at end of steps put in touch with a member from either the a) language
community (in this case, Wikipedia Portuguese) to access initial editing
resources, OR b) put in touch with Wikimedia Chapter or Usergroups (where
possible) to request a notification on the next editing/community event. If
they still want to edit after that, then all power to them ... but at least
we have supported their effort and not cut them off entirely or confused
them into wrong actions or trolling.

Of course, you will always get people who are trying to be inappropriate,
but that can be taken care of on an individual and not a national basis.

warmest
Isla

Isla Haddow-Flood
skype: islahaddow