Part of the blame here is mine, for casually bringing up a controversial and
slightly off-thread topic.  But I agree with Paulo that an unelected Board has
little legitimacy, even if we would like them to have it.  The most recent
crisis of confidence around rebranding makes a person ask: Why are the Board
and Foundation so often misaligned with the community they serve, and how can
we improve their accountability?

This could be a great opportunity to help fill in any of the lost history
around the membership organization conversion: as I understand it (see the
article I referenced earlier), Brad Patrick was general counsel of WMF for ten
months, exactly during the organization's change in legal status, and can offer
a unique perspective into the moment.

I've read the public mailing list discussions and I think it's pretty clear
that everyone was acting in good faith, trying to chart a safe course for how
to best protect and nurture the young Foundation.  The scenario seems to be,
that the membership requirements as written on paper had never been fulfilled,
so there was some risk in continuing under that structure.  Rather than leave
the Foundation vulnerable to lawsuits from sometimes volatile editors, who made
up the majority of the member class, instead membership was eliminated and a
more predictable set of bylaws were established which emphasized stability and
would prevent a "hostile takeover". Please correct any bad assumptions here!

The drawback (beyond the loss of democratic oversight) is that the Foundation
remained in legal jeopardy, but now because it had potentially broken Florida
nonprofit law by converting to a non-membership organization without formally
notifying its members. The reason notifications weren't sent out ahead of time
is that very few people were registered with physical mailing addresses. In
hindsight, it's been pointed out, WMF did have email addresses for its members
but no notification went out by that channel. Ironically, this means that
members as of November 29, 2006 may have standing to sue for damages or
control. There seems to be no time limit for making this challenge.

I hope this gives background to my comment, and that one day Wikimedians own
the trademarks to the copyleft movement they have built.

-Adam W.
(Writing in my personal capacity, not representing my employer.)