Well, you could always do a nominal membership contribution, like a penny,
or sponsorships for those who wish to join but don't have the money. Since
WMF makes its money primarily from donations, there's really no need for it
to actually sustain itself from membership fees.

So far as requiring non-pseudonymous membership, I don't think there's any
requirement that such member lists be made public. So it would work a lot
like functionaries giving their information for the private access policy;
they are required to verify their identity, but that will be held privately
and not available to the public. So for all intents and purposes,
pseudonymous membership would still be possible.

Todd