SJ, thanks for your much better-informed post, ours crossed in the mail, I'd
have left it to you if I knew that was coming!

To all, I would suggest you ignore my post in deference to his. I do want to
say, I think you've misunderstood me in a couple places (probably my fault for
not being clear) -- most significantly, it wasn't my intent to judge anyone, or
or make assumptions about what they say; overall, I was really just trying to
make the same point you did (that chapters are not the only way to organize),
only I did it much less eloquently.

Again though, to all -- the best thing would probably be to ignore my post, as
the one SJ wrote about the same time covers the issue much better.

Pete

On Dec 19, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Samuel Klein wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Pete Forsyth <petefors...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> * Chapters historically came into existence to (1) process donations in local
> currency and (2) deal with local legal issues
>
> I would say it is more
> (3) provide an organization that could handle local partnerships and
> communication: with content and promotion and other targeted projects.  The
> sort of thing that the WMF explicitly leaves to other entities, by virtue of
> not accepting targeted donations.
>
> * The difficulty of forming a chapter that doesn't conform to legal borders
> has caused tension in recent years
>
> This was feared but has not been true in practice.   (It was an issue of
> forming an incorporated entity, period, not specific to a chapter.)
>
> * The WMF Board and many in the community are aware and concerned about this
>
> Not sure...  concerned about what here?  The explicit recognition of other
> entities was to avoid forcing groups into a narrow mould in order to be
> recognized as a stable part of the movement.  It wasn't in response to issues
> with geographic groups that weren't national; it was in to recognize the
> majority of groups that are not geographic at all.
>
> * The general solution is not so much to adapt the Chapter model to fit other
> cases, as to establish that other cases are fine *without* carrying the name
> "chapter".
>
> The Wikimedia movement has a new approach to funds dissemination; being a
> chapter is not the only way to get grants or put the name "Wikipedia" (or
> "Wikimedia" etc.) to good use.
>
> Yes.
>
> In other words, just because the CHAPTERS committee
>
> There is no longer a chapters committee; it is now the Affiliations Committee
> :)  And please don't judge what they /might/ think; just ask them.
>
> SJ

Pete Forsyth
petefors...@gmail.com
503-383-9454 mobile