Hello everyone,

Latest iteration of the document is at
https://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wp_Commons_SHIP_12pp_September_UK.pdf

I still need to add in the location URL on the back page and give the
document a final proofread. Other than those two things I'm pretty happy.
I've updated the freedom of panorama information (although please note the
size limitations on that page). If there are no further (important) changes
then I plan to get a version over to the printer next week.

Thank you,

Stevie

On 15 September 2013 17:13, Michael Maggs <mich...@maggs.name> wrote:

> Proposed new simpler version:
> *
> *
> *Freedom of panorama in the UK*
>
> Under UK law, you are allowed to upload a photo of the architecture of any
> building (inside or outside) without infringing any copyright held by the
> architect.  The same applies to any 3D artwork, such as a statue, provided
> that it is *permanently* located in a public place (this means somewhere
> normally
> open to the public, including interior spaces such as museums).  So, you
> can freely upload a photo of the Angel of the North sculpture, even though
> the sculpture itself is copyright-protected.   Note that this applies
> only to 3D works, and not to 2D works such as posters or signs - even if
> on they are on public display.  Note also that the rules outside the UK may
> be different.
>
> Michael
>

>>> On 14 Sep 2013, at 16:57, Michael Maggs wrote:
>
> Ok Harry, I will have a go at tweaking the text to put the buildings info
> first. It would be easier to be more straightforward if we had more space
> to fit this into.
>
> Michael
>
> On 14 Sep 2013, at 16:29, HJ Mitchell <hjmitch...@ymail.com> wrote:
>
> Pardon me, Michael, but I think that might be a bit too jargony. If I was
> a complete novice on copyright, I'd have to read that several times to work
> out that I could upload a photo of any building in the UK without
> infringing a third party's copyright. The important part is that if it's 3D
> and permanently lives in a public place (like a building or a statue), it's
> fair game. An example might be useful in illustrating the point for
> novices; Nelson's Column comes to mind...
>
> Harry Mitchell
> http://enwp.org/User:HJ
> Phone: 024 7698 0977
> Skype: harry_j_mitchell

Stevie Benton
Communications Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*