I've been tinkering with the ia-upload tool and incorporating Alex
Brollo's better system of DjVu generation (better than converting from
PDF, that is; instead it works from the original Jpeg2000 files and
merges the OCR data in).

I've set up a test installation of the tool at
http://tools.wmflabs.org/ia-upload/test/ and would love anyone to have a
go at it, and to report any bugs at
https://github.com/wikisource/ia-upload/issues

Because DjVu generation can take a while (quite a while if you've got a
crappy slow laptop like me), the tool runs each job on the grid engine,
starting every 5 minutes. The queue is shown on the homepage of the
tool, with a status of each job. (Unless you're just re-using an
existing DjVu file from the IA, in which case it's just uploaded
directly to Commons while you wait, like the tool's always done.)

Thanks!