Excuse my ignorance here but shouldn't it be possible to write an Apache
handler to receive the file uploads (so we get instant notification
instead on upload completion) and at the same time use the meta data to
write basic progress information to the DB - The page then uses (say) an
iframe to post the file(s) to the handler which updates the DB. You may
need to do an initial hit to the handler to get the ID to track or
similar - Depends on design.

The progress can then be retrieved by the main page using AJAX to
populate a progress box - No java so no warnings. If JS is disabled, it
should be easy to fall back gracefully as the only real complex JS is
for a progress bar - no JS = no progress bar but upload still works.

Admittedly this doesn't solve the multiple file issue or the large file
issue but would get you a progress bar.

I don't believe JS will have file access permissions under most
circumstances so couldn't do entire thing via AJAX (not to mention
possible increase in transfer time based on encoding, etc...).

To add my $0.02 to the previous suggestion of Java - Whilst most
tech-savvy people would have no issues with a Javascript box, others
might - but there's no reason you couldn't have a page explaining the
process. Additionally, I've noticed (certainly in my family/friends)
that most of them just click "OK" whatever it says - No matter how many
times I drum it into them to read it first. I'd imagine a large portion
of the world would assume Wikipedia is OK and just go with it.