On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Simon Orr
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance here but shouldn't it be possible to write an Apache
> handler to receive the file uploads (so we get instant notification
> instead on upload completion) and at the same time use the meta data to
> write basic progress information to the DB - The page then uses (say) an
> iframe to post the file(s) to the handler which updates the DB. You may
> need to do an initial hit to the handler to get the ID to track or
> similar - Depends on design.

This is one way (although we'd likely want to use memcached, not the
DB).  The other way would be to use Java.  Either would work, someone
just has to do one or the other.  The implementation will be decided
by whoever actually does the work.

> To add my $0.02 to the previous suggestion of Java - Whilst most
> tech-savvy people would have no issues with a Javascript box, others
> might

If the applet were appropriately signed and certified, there would be
no popup or warning to worry about.