On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Daniel Kinzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A mediawiki upload should be specific and provide
> more functionality besides picking multiple files and uploading them. Most
> importantly, it has to provide a way to provide the basic information about
> license, source and authorship. Programs for this exist, I was just thinking
> that a firefox ad-on would be simpler to deploy and maintain that a standalone
> program, and people would be more likely to iunstall and use it.

If a MediaWiki-specific workaround would exist, it would presumably be
a Java applet that wouldn't require separate installation.  You're
right that such an applet could be written to do way more than just
show upload progress.  On the other hand, I'm wary about having to
maintain multiple sets of functionality for clients with different
capabilities.  It would be best to keep as many features as possible
in universally-accessible HTML-based upload pages, and only use Java
or JavaScript where something is not possible in HTML (like selection
of multiple files at once for upload, or progress indicators).