On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com<simetrical%2bwikil...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Chengbin Zheng<chengbinzh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I tried through Wikipedia mail, and I can't reach him.
> >
> > How do you use mediawiki? There are no exe files.
>
> Based on your posts here, I suspect this will be a difficult process
> for you.  Even if you had experience installing and administering web
> apps, I don't know how reliably the dumps can be imported by third
> parties these days.  If you're talking about the English Wikipedia, it
> would probably take a lot of processing time (maybe days, on a typical
> desktop?) for the dump to actually import, even if it's only the
> latest version of each page.  And even after that, I don't know how
> easy or reliable it is to export static HTML.
>
> You will definitely, at a minimum, have to use a command line, and
> probably will run into at least one difficulty that will require
> debugging.  MediaWiki is not really designed to be installed and
> administered by users who are only comfortable with GUIs.  You could
> probably install it without too much difficulty, but the documentation
> for importing the dumps and exporting the static HTML might not be too
> comprehensible.
>
> If you still want to proceed, this page has lengthy instructions on
> installation:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows
>
> I haven't imported a dump anywhere in a long time, and I've never
> exported static HTML, so I can't really help you with those offhand.

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I think it is probably a bad idea. Maybe when I take the computer
science course this year I'll get a better understanding.

But definitely, I don't like using command lines. Even in video encoding,
which I master at, I prefer using GUI (well simply because it is FAR FAR
more convenient). Even though I could use command line, it takes forever. It
took me over a year to master x264 and avisynth. Don't want to do that again
for this.

I guess I can just hope that the static HTML dumps do update. Meanwhile I
need to look for a way to efficiently delete millions of talk and discussion
files. Or better, Wikimedia making a "lite" version like the dumps so I
don't have to do it. I'm really tight on space, as I'm putting this on a
portable media player (the next Archos PMP, as the Archos 5 I have only have
250GB)