On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Praveen Prakash wrote:
> > Is it possible to implement some method to tell server both characters
> > are same??
>
> No.
>
> > It is heard that more changes coming in future versions of
> > unicode. And now almost half of the data coming is in unicode 5.1
> > version. I am not sure about reverse converting.
>
> That link you gave in your last post had a conversion table, it looks
> pretty straightforward:
>
> CHILLU NN -> NNA, VIRAMA, ZWJ
> CHILLU N -> NA, VIRAMA, ZWJ
> CHILLU RR -> RA, VIRAMA, ZWJ
> CHILLU L -> LA, VIRAMA, ZWJ
> CHILLU LL -> LLA, VIRAMA, ZWJ
>
> The other new characters would remain unconverted.
>
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > Given that we should be moving forward not backward, it makes more sense
> > provide Unicode 5.1 characters and webfonts.
> >
> > The big thing of MediaWiki was that it supported Unicode when this was
> still
> > a new thing to do. We should support the latest and the best Unicode
> > support.
>
> You did read the post didn't you? Forcing everyone to buy Windows 7 is
> not generally the way we do things. Unless the client situation is not
> as bad as it sounds, we will need to have a transition period where we
> support older clients until their market share falls far lower than
> 50%, which is where, by Praveen's figures, it is now.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Letter k (ൿ) was undefined in prior Unicode 5.1. According to my knowledge
letter nta (ന്റ) and tta (റ്റ) need explicit OS support (?) to display,
Which is not available yet (*Windows 7* ??). I am sorry, exclusion of these
letters are not intentional. I included chillaksharams only because they are
creating most of the problem. Frankly we didnt face any problem caused by
other letters. But it is possible.

Popular transliteration tool for Malayalam typing (*Varamozhi*) and popular
font (*Anjali OldLipi*) are currently supporting Unicode 5.1 in windows.
Recently (two or three days before) Microsoft announced their own tool for
Malayalam typing which also supporting 5.1. Microsoft's default Karthika
font for Malayalam also now supporting 5.1. But IE6 is not supporting
unicode 5.1 even with supporting fonts.

In the case of Linux there are third party input definitions for SCIM (Mozhi
and Inscript), and altered default fonts (*Rachana*, *Meera* etc) to unicode
5.1 which are widely using ones. No Linux OS giving default support for
unicode 5.1 on Malayalam, but it can be fixed by Firefox extension, altered
tools and fonts etc. Sometimes that need technical knowledge.

In Mac OS there is no proper support for Malayalam by default. But Some
Malayalies fixed it and its in Unicode 5.1.

So number of people using Unicode 5.1 is increasing day by day.

But there are lot of people who believes that new Chillaksharams definitions
are grammatically not correct and not ready to switch. I personally not with
them. Do I need to invite some people from both sides here? I afraid none of
them are ready for some agreement. :-(. We are discussing this problem since
before the release of Unicode 5.1 (More than 2 years), still not solved.

Once Unicode has implemented these atomic Chillaksharams (i think in 2004)
and then they removed it on next version for further discussions. This is
the second inclusion of those characters. It does'nt look like those chars
will be compromised in future versions.

This is the condition of current stage of Malayalam Computing. So I thought
it is better to put equivalence than switching to a particular version. If
it not possible switching as said by Tim is appreciable. I prefer 5.1 which
is future.