2010/4/1 Bence Damokos <bdamo...@gmail.com>:
> Many people have reported problems because the section edit links tended to
> end up next to each other on one line if the pictures in the article
> overlapped with section boundaries - most people found this confusing and
> some reported engaging in a serious of futile edits to correct this problem.
> I am not sure, but it seems that these links are now moved to be next to the
> section titles which solves this problem. (To verify this, I could recommend
> [[hu:Kolbász]] with quite a few pictures.)
> (If this is a huwiki specific JS or CSS solution, you should consider the
> problem for wikis where the translation of [edit] is significantly longer
> than the English equivalent, which might lead to a higher chance of
>  conflict with images.)

Per Amir's post, this is a long-standing issue caused by the
positioning of the edit links. We had plans and even have code to move
the edit links to right next to the headers (dewiki-style, if you
will), which would solve this, but that somehow got buried in other
work.

> There were some comments about speed as well, some seem to have complained
> of not having found the toolbar (I guess the JS generating the toolbar
> didn't load for them quickly enough or at all).
>
> Someone  using IE8 complained that he was constantly getting "This site has
> an error" type of notifications with the page -- this, I hope, has been
> fixed since (since 2009-12-01).

We've been fixing JS errors and performance problems all the time, and
the toolbar should be pretty solid now. I'll run another round of
profiling against it for paranoia, but I've already squeezed it quite
a bit in the past so I'm not sure how much there's to gain there.
Migrating to jQuery 1.4 (with much faster DOM manipulation, which is
the toolbar's main bottleneck) is on our nice-to-have list; some of
our plugin code currently causes weird issues with 1.4, we have to
sort those out.

> As mentioned earlier, and maybe in this thread, people were missing WikiEd
> and Hotcat compatibility, as well as compatibility with a gadget that
> allowed opening the search results in a new tab.

Fixing community-written gadgets is technically not our
responsibility. We may end up fixing a few of them ourselves if we're
told to, but I can't promise anythng (talk to my boss, not to me :) ).

> I personally am missing the possibility to update the built in special
> characters box (here thinking about adding a section for wiki specific tags,
> clean-up templates, or HTML tags).
You can do this in e.g. MediaWiki:Common.js . There's some
documentation on extending the toolbar in general at
http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Toolbar_customization which I will
update to contain more explicit guides to customizing the special
characters part.

> Also, the buttons (under Advanced) to make redirects ("#redirect [[ ]]")  or
> to add a references section. I think these two latter are common enough to
> be had by default under advanced
We're planning on adding a nowiki and redirect button, and we've made
a simple dialog for inserting and adding references. Adding a
references *section* is a good catch, I'll bring that up. These
changes have already been made in SVN and are staged at
http://prototype.wikimedia.org/s-1/index.php?title=Foo&action=edit

> (maybe with a little dialogue showing
> current redirects to the page and making it possible to create new ones in
> the background with an explanatory text about the common cases when one
> would want to do this [hyphenation, spelling variants]).

I guess that'd be cool, but it's probably also out of the scope of
this project: creating redirects is not one of the main things we
expect new editors to do, I think.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)