On 2 August 2010 15:24, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/2 Tei <oscar.vi...@gmail.com>:
>> Maybe a theme can get the individual icons that the theme use, and
>> combine it all in a single png file.
>>
> This technique is called spriting, and the single combined image file
> is called a sprite. We've done this with e.g. the enhanced toolbar
> buttons, but it doesn't work in all cases.
>
>> Maybe the idea than resource=file must die in 2011 internet :-/
>>
> The resourceloader branch contains work in progress on aggressively
> combining and minifying JavaScript and CSS. The mapping of one
> resource = one file will be preserved, but the mapping of one resource
> = one REQUEST will die: it'll be possible, and encouraged, to obtain
> multiple resources in one request.

A friend a recomended to me a excellent book (yes books are still
usefull on this digital age).  Is called "Even Faster Websites".
Everyone sould make his company buy this book. Is excellent.

Reading this book has scared me for life.  There are things that are
worst than I trough.  JS forcing everything monothread (even stoping
the download of new resources!)... while it download ..and while it
executes.   How about a 90% of the code is not needed in onload, but
is loaded before onload anyway. Probably is a much better idea to read
that book that my post (thats a good line, I will end my email with
it).

Some comments on Wikipedia speed:

1)
This is not a website "http://en.wikipedia.org";, is a redirection to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Can't "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page"; be served from
"http://en.wikipedia.org";?

Wait.. this will break relative links on the frontpage, but.. these
are absolute!  <a href="/wiki/Wikipedia"
title="Wikipedia">Wikipedia</a>

2)
The CSS load fine.  \o/
Probabbly the combining effort will save speed anyway.

3)
Probably the CSS rules can be optimized for speed )-:
Probably not.

4)
A bunch of js files!, and load one after another, secuential. This is
worse than a C program written to a file from disk reading byte by
byte. !!
Combining will probably save a lot. Or using a strategy to force the
browser to concurrent download + lineal execute, these files.

5)
There are a lot of img files. Do the page really need than much? sprinting?.

Total: 13.63 seconds.

You guys want to make this faster with cache optimization. But maybe
is not bandwith the problem, but latency. Latency accumulate even with
HEAD request that result in 302.   All the 302 in the world will not
make the page feel smooth, if already acummulate into 3+ seconds
territory.   ...Or I am wrong?

Probably is a much better idea to read that book that my post

ℱin del ℳensaje.