On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tei <oscar.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading this book has scared me for life.  There are things that are
> worst than I trough.  JS forcing everything monothread (even stoping
> the download of new resources!)... while it download ..and while it
> executes.

In newer browsers this is no longer the case.  They can fetch other
resources while script is loading.  They can't begin rendering further
until the script finishes executing, but this isn't such a big issue,
since scripts usually don't do much work at the point of inclusion.
(As Roan says, work is undergoing to improve this, but I thought I'd
point out that it's not quite as bad as you say.)

> There are a lot of img files. Do the page really need than much? sprinting?.
>
> Total: 13.63 seconds.

Some usability stuff is sprited, I think.  Overall, though, spriting
is a pain in the neck, and we don't load enough images that it's
necessarily worth it to sprite too aggressively.  Image loads don't
block page layout, so it's not a huge deal.  I think script
optimization is much more important right now.

> You guys want to make this faster with cache optimization. But maybe
> is not bandwith the problem, but latency. Latency accumulate even with
> HEAD request that result in 302.   All the 302 in the world will not
> make the page feel smooth, if already acummulate into 3+ seconds
> territory.   ...Or I am wrong?

I've noticed that when browsing from my phone, the redirect to m. is a
noticeable delay, sometimes a second or more.  We don't serve many
redirects other than that, though, AFAIK.

> Probably is a much better idea to read that book that my post

I've read Steve Souders' High-Performance Websites, which is probably
pretty similar in content.