On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We can use features from both, using function_exists(), like what we
> do now with PHP modules.

Well, yes, if there's some reasonable fallback.  It doesn't work for
features that are useless if you have to write a fallback, like
various types of syntactic sugar.  For example, the first features
from PHP 5.3 release notes include namespaces, late static binding,
lambda functions and closures, NOWDOC, a ternary operator shortcut,
limited goto, and __callStatic.  If Facebook didn't implement some of
those new features in Hiphop by the time we could feasibly require PHP
5.3, we wouldn't be able to use them.  (Some look really nice, like
anonymous functions -- one of the things I really like about
JavaScript.)

Granted, this sort of thing is rarely very essential, and maybe Hiphop
will keep up with all of PHP's new syntactic sugar.  Overall, I'm all
in favor of trying out Hiphop on Wikimedia -- I was just wondering
what would happen if Hiphop doesn't incorporate all of PHP's new
features over time.  Which might be groundless, if Facebook plans to
incorporate all of PHP's new syntactic features over time.