Hoi,
It makes sense for translatewiki.net to run on trunk. This way we are
exposed to the latest messages and get as much localisation done before code
actually hits production servers. Running another project just because it
will run trunk only makes sense when it running trunk has added value.

What you can do is adopt translatewiki.net as your barometer for code
quality and help it run as smoothly as possible.
Thanks,
       GerardM