On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:
> This is one of the reasons I tend to advocate shorter
> development/review/deployment cycles. By keeping the cycle short, we can
> help build up regular habits: run through some reviews every couple days. Do
> a deployment update *every* week. If you don't think your code will be
> working within that time, either work on it outside of trunk or break it up
> into pieces that won't interfere with other code.
>
> With a long cycle, review gets pushed aside until it's no longer habit, and
> gets lost.

Right. And just to weigh in quickly on the resources issue -- the
review/deploy/release train is clearly not moving at the pace we want.
This does affect WMF staffers and contractors as well, but we know
that it's especially frustrating for volunteers and third party
committers. We kicked around the idea of a "20% rule" for all funded
engineers (IMO not just senior staff) in Berlin and in the office
yesterday, and I think Roan mentioned it earlier in this thread: i.e.
ensuring that every WMF-funded engineer spends one day a week on
"service" work (code review, design/UX review, deployment, shell bugs,
software bugs, bug triaging, etc.).

An alternative model is to have rotating teams that do this work. I
personally prefer the 20% model because it gives more
consistency/predictability and less churn, but I'm curious what other
folks think, and I'm comfortable with us continuing this discussion
openly on this list.

Whether that would get us to a healthier balance remains to be seen,
but I think there's pretty broad agreement that adding more support to
the review/deployment/release process is a necessary precondition for
any other process changes like moving towards pre-commit review.

Clearly what's been said in this thread is true -- there are lots of
things that can be done to reduce our technical debt and make it
easier to accommodate and manage new changes, but without added
dedicated capacity, the train won't move at a speed that we're happy
with. We can't change that overnight (because we need to figure out
the right rhythm and the right processes together), but we will change
it.

Erik
--
Erik Möller