Le 12/12/12 21:57, David Gerard a écrit :
> On 12 December 2012 11:44, Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Could we host h.264 videos and related transcoders in a country that
>> does not recognize software patents?
>> Hints:
>>  - I am not a lawyer
>>  - WMF has server in Netherlands, EU.
>

> If anyone owning a chunk of H.264 had a problem with Wikimedia doing
> things with H.264 in the US, it could only be bad for them. I would
> suggest this aspect isn't really a problem.

Morally I must agree.  Legally I emit a huge doubt on this assumption.

We had the SCO - Linux affair [1] a few years ago where some "unknown"
company started sueing anyone using Unix based on copyright
infringement.  It only takes one company and a bunch of lawyers to start
being sued.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO–Linux_controversies

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso