On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Arthur Richards <aricha...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Asher, I understand your hesitation about using HTTP header fields, but
> there are a couple problems I'm seeing with using query string parameters.
> Perhaps you or others have some ideas how to get around these:
> * We should keep user-facing URLs canonical as much as possible (primarily
> for link sharing)
> ** If we keep user-facing URLs canonical, we could potentially add query
> string params via javascript, but that would only work on devices that
> support javascript/have javascript enabled (this might not be a huge deal
> as we are planning changes such that users that do not support jQuery will
> get a simplified version of the stable site)

* How could this work for the first pageview request (eg a user clicking a
> link from Google or even just browsing to http://en.wikipedia.org)?

I think mainly we need the tracking on the API requests... that's all
JavaScript-initiated, and all hidden from the user. The main problem with
adding parameters would be for caching .... but none of the API hits are
currently cacheable so that's not an immediate issue perhaps.

-- brion