On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Arthur Richards <aricha...@wikimedia.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Asher, I understand your hesitation about using HTTP header fields, but
> > there are a couple problems I'm seeing with using query string
> parameters.
> > Perhaps you or others have some ideas how to get around these:
> > * We should keep user-facing URLs canonical as much as possible
> (primarily
> > for link sharing)
> > ** If we keep user-facing URLs canonical, we could potentially add query
> > string params via javascript, but that would only work on devices that
> > support javascript/have javascript enabled (this might not be a huge deal
> > as we are planning changes such that users that do not support jQuery
> will
> > get a simplified version of the stable site)
>
> * How could this work for the first pageview request (eg a user clicking a
> > link from Google or even just browsing to http://en.wikipedia.org)?
> >

> I think mainly we need the tracking on the API requests... that's all
> JavaScript-initiated, and all hidden from the user. The main problem with
> adding parameters would be for caching .... but none of the API hits are
> currently cacheable so that's not an immediate issue perhaps.

We also need to be able to differentiate between alpha/beta/stable versions
of the mobile site, without having to parse the cookie header (I believe as
a result of performance constraints around this? I think the analytics team
had looked into this previously).

--
Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile