Just want to summarize and make sure I've got the right conclusions, as
this thread has wandered a bit.

*1. X-MF-Mode: Alpha/Beta Site Usage*
*
*
We'll roll this into the X-CS header, which will now be KV-pairs (using
normal URL encoding), and set by Varnish. This will avoid an explosion of
cryptic headers for analytic purposes.

Questions:
- It seems there's some confusion around "bypassing Varnish". If I
understand correctly, it's not that Varnish is ever bypassed, just that the
upstream response is not cached if cookies are present. Is that right?
- Since we're repurposing X-CS, should we perhaps rename it to something
more apt to address concerns about cryptic non-standard headers flying
about?

*2. X-MF-Req: Primary vs Secondary API Requests*

This header will be replaced with a query parameter set by the client-side
JS code making the request. Analytics will parse it out at processing time
and Do The Right Thing.

Kindly correct me if I've gotten anything wrong.

--
David Schoonover
d...@wikimedia.org