On Wednesday, February 6, 2013, David Schoonover wrote:

> Just want to summarize and make sure I've got the right conclusions, as
> this thread has wandered a bit.
>
> *1. X-MF-Mode: Alpha/Beta Site Usage*
> *
> *
> We'll roll this into the X-CS header, which will now be KV-pairs (using
> normal URL encoding), and set by Varnish.

Nope. There will be a header denoting non-standard MobileFrontend views if
the mobile team wants to leave the caching situation as is. It will be a
response header set by mediawiki, not varnish. The header will have a
unique name, it will not share the name of the zero carrier header. The
udplog field that currently only ever contains carrier information on zero
requests will become a key value field. Udplog fields are not named, they
are positional.

>  This will avoid an explosion of
> cryptic headers for analytic purposes.
>
> Questions:
> - It seems there's some confusion around "bypassing Varnish". If I
> understand correctly, it's not that Varnish is ever bypassed, just that the
> upstream response is not cached if cookies are present. Is that right?

"Bypasses varnish caching" != "bypassing varnish."  I don't see any use of
the later in this thread, but if there has been confusion, know that all
m.wikipedia.org requests are served via varnish.

> - Since we're repurposing X-CS, should we perhaps rename it to something
> more apt to address concerns about cryptic non-standard headers flying
> about?

Nope.. We're repurposing the fixed position udplog field, not the zero
carrier code header.