On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Thomas Gries <m...@tgries.de> wrote:
> tl;dr
> discussion start "How/whether MediaWiki could use ZendOptimizuerPlus"
>

> Since a short time
>
>   * ZendOptimizerPlus (Opcode cache; source [4])
>

> is under PHP license and planned to be integrated in PHP 5.5.
> The former restrictions of this program (closed-source etc.) appear to
> be gone,
> so I'd like to open discussions how MediaWIki could be adapted to make
> use of it.
>

> Because APC does not work with PHP 5.4, (or APC is beta for PHP 5.4),
> I wanted to make use of the new ZendOptimizer with PHP 5.4 ...
>
>   * but MediaWiki apparently does not work with that. ( CACHE_ACCEL )
>

> *Who knows more ?*
> and could help to get the Zend cache working and APC replaced ?
> Or is this not possible, because Zend is only for opcode caching ??
>

> MediaWiki pages [1,2] should be /*revisited *//*and updated*/ according
> to current knowledge and version /*by cache experts*/

You're confusing opcode caching with shared memory caching. Having the Zend
Optimizer doesn't prohibit you from using APC's shared memory caching. And
since Zend Optimizer doesn't do shared memory functionality, there's
no "support"
that needs to be added anywhere (now, if they introduce such a feature, that's
another story).

-Chad