So, some ideas:

As for the idea that we need to fix internet that's so bad it can't handle
HTTPS for "technical reasons"; anything that's that broken is pretty
hopeless to "fix" from the web server's end. Instead, consider:
* provide support to groups working for improving internet access in areas
with poor connectivity

And for the "some countries block our HTTPS" issue:
* *actually support* use of Tor etc for editing, allowing folks "in the
know" to work around the government blocks and use the site over HTTPS
* provide support to groups working against government censorship of the
internet
* sponsor an official hosted-and-run-in-PRC censor-friendly mirror, and
devise some way to migrate edits back

This last would probably be controversial, but if we're serious about
'providing access to knowledge' in PRC, I suspect that's our best bet. Good
news is, we're an open-source open-content project, and so this service
could be launched *by anyone at any time*. Arguably, Baidupedia already
beat us to this.

-- brion