On 2013-10-29 4:07 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> A few brave users customize the matching behavior because they prefer
>> something else, or they read some how-to
>> article. If we put the free names first, we just frustrate those
>> efforts, and the experience of 90% of our users doesn't change.
>
> If we put the free font first, we're saying we want to use that free
> font (because it's a free, and fits our intended design well).
>
> The extremely few users who manually customize their font-matching can
> still override e.g. what "Nimbus Sans L" points to on their machine.
You're basically suggesting that users who have customized their
browsers/OS to handle the patterns used on the majority of the internet
– many who may have done a C&P from a tutorial and actually know nothing
about the config itself – re-customize their browser/OS to support one
website/organization.