C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>Maybe we should be turning off bugzilla features instead of trying to
>'fix' them.  The whole 'file a bug in bugzilla' process is already far too
>complicated with a dozen fields which are either irrelevant or just
>confusing to newcomers.  Can we just hide all this cruft (including the
>'assigned to' field) for most users?

I think we should certainly evaluate and re-evaluate the Bugzilla
workflow. There are surely fields in the current form that could be killed
or made smarter (e.g., only display if necessary). It'd be nice to have a
bug to track doing this evaluation, though I think any audit will find
that the 'assigned to' field in particular is too disruptive to remove.

The general point about trusting new users is what this thread is about.
Isarra's post makes for good reading. :-)

Isarra Yos wrote:
>For a rather extreme example, there was another project, some OS thing,
>that a friend of mine wanted to contribute to awhile back, but he found
>that they had disabled account creation entirely due to lack of
>resources to combat spam, requiring instead that you find them on IRC or
>some such and contact them that way for an account. In no way is this
>good practice, and has very much harmed them as well, and yet it was
>probably the best thing they could do with what they had.

We're doing really well on this front, I think. Users can create a
Gerrit/Labs/Wikitech account easily and without manual intervention.

Jeremy Baron wrote:
>On Nov 7, 2013 6:27 PM, "Andre Klapper" <aklap...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>For the records: Currently 14744 Wikimedia Bugzilla users have editbugs
>>permissions (so this is something to do via an SQL command instead of me
>>clicking myself to death in Bugzilla's web interface).
>
>I also generally support this. But maybe we can limit to only users that
>have done at least one or two actions in the last X months. Or exclude
>people that haven't logged in for a year. 14.7k sounds like a lot.

Okay.

As to your other questions, I'm confident we'll be able to figure out the
logistical details, if needed.

MZMcBride