On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM, C. Scott Ananian <canan...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> I'm a little puzzled here: this whole discussion is because new owners want
> to have the bug actually assigned to them, instead of just commenting, "I'm
> working on this" in the bug?
>
> Let's look at the github model -- there's no assignment at all.  I just
> file a bug, maybe make some comments on it to say I'm working on it, and
> some time later I submit a pull request referencing the bug and saying, "I
> fixed it".  That seems to work fine for collaboration, and offers no
> roadblocks.
>
> Maybe we should be turning off bugzilla features instead of trying to 'fix'
> them.  The whole 'file a bug in bugzilla' process is already far too
> complicated with a dozen fields which are either irrelevant or just
> confusing to newcomers.  Can we just hide all this cruft (including the
> 'assigned to' field) for most users?
>   --scott

I would be okay just turning off assignment.

In theory, a primary use case for assigning bugs is Product Manager A (say,
me) sees a new bug, and assigns it to Engineer B (say, Ori). Other than
self-assignment, this kind of workflow is the most common argument for
needing assignment I think. Since generally, WMF engineering teams use a
secondary task tracking tool (Trello, Mingle, etc.), turning off the
feature would not hurt us. We can also, you know, talk to people if we want
them to tackle a bug.

Since we have PATCH TO REVIEW and cross-linking from Gerrit to BZ, it
becomes clear who is actually working on resolving an issue. This also
focuses more on actually getting working software patches, instead of just
fiddling with bugs. ;)