On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Matthew Flaschen <mflasc...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Assignment is useful to me for multiple reasons, but the most important
> are:
>
> 1. Marking things I'm definitely going to work on (while trying to avoid
> cookie-licking).  Importantly, I can unmark myself as assigned, signally
> that it's "back in the pool".

More agressive use of tagging (or something like it) would help here.  I
also list using the 'my bugs' feature of bugzilla.  But that doesn't
actually necessarily need to be reflected as 'assignment'.  If there were a
way to let me add to a list of 'my bugs' without requiring assignment (or
editbugs) that would be totally cool.

> 2. (Less commonly) Assigning other people, most commonly on things I think
> they have the inclination and expertise to fix.

FWIW, the github system seems to use @username tagging to do this.  That
is, if this bug is relevant to @joeluser, the owner of the project
typically comments, "this looks like this is up your alley, @joeluser"
which sends an email notification.  @joeluser then decides whether to add
this to their personal 'my bugs' list (which is only mental at this point,
since github doesn't support bug lists).
  --scott