And to be clear, I'm not advocating turning off assignment entirely for all
projects and everyone.  What I am advocating is that we (begin the process
of) 'turning off' a large number of unused bugzilla features for most
users, to reduce confusion and help encourage understanding of the workflow.

That is, perhaps there's a preference to see 'advanced fields' which
defaults to off for everyone (and 'on' for members of the Platform team?).
 New users won't see fields which (a) they can't change and (b) don't
matter anyway.
 --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)