C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>And to be clear, I'm not advocating turning off assignment entirely for
>all projects and everyone.  What I am advocating is that we (begin the
>process of) 'turning off' a large number of unused bugzilla features for
>most users, to reduce confusion and help encourage understanding of the
>workflow.

I'll just reiterate what I said previously: it would be wonderful to do a
full evaluation/audit of the current Bugzilla inputs and figure out which
we can eliminate or make smarter (e.g., only display under certain
conditions). However my personal view (which seems to be lightly supported
by anecdotal evidence from this mailing list) is that the 'assigned to'
field in particular is too disruptive to remove.

Links you may be interested in:

* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Bugzilla_taxonomy
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Overthrow_Bugzilla

(Not that anybody is seriously suggesting replacing Bugzilla, but you may
still find the discussion interesting.)

>That is, perhaps there's a preference to see 'advanced fields' which
>defaults to off for everyone (and 'on' for members of the Platform team?).
> New users won't see fields which (a) they can't change and (b) don't
>matter anyway.

This already exists. :-)  By default, users only see a basic input form.
You have to click "show advanced fields" to show all of the fields.
Similarly, you can hide the advanced fields, though users sometimes have
difficulty finding the control (it's kind of hiding in plain sight).

MZMcBride