Are there figures proving that closing Tor/open proxy access significantly
reduced the amount of vandalism/sock pupetting in the long term? Versus
just making the unwanted users switch to another way of achieving their
goal?

Sure, Tor traffic will have a high correlation with unwanted activity, but
that doesn't mean the people who've been shut off by Tor being blocked
aren't still here doing the same thing, using IPs that we can't as easily
pinpoint. If anything, it's an escalation and it invites them to be more
creative about their vandalism, which would make them harder to catch.

I know that there's a limit to how far unwatned users go when you block
them, though, at some point they run out of ideas and give up. Which is why
I wonder if Tor blocking was that last step that made them go away or if it
wasn't.