Hi James,

It makes sense to me to have ground-up development of guidelines, as is
happening in at least 3 venues that I know about. However, this also means
policy/guideline fragmentation. Also, AFAIK we don't have clear mechanisms
for deploying lightweight or limited-scope policies; anything with the word
"policy" in its title requires a lot of work to create or change. That's
good to a certain extent because consensus and widespread input hopefully
will improve the outcome of the policy development. On the other hand,
policy development takes time and patience.

Can I ask if there is any particular hurry to deploy a friendly space
policy specifically for technical spaces? My personal sense is that the
vast majority of technical discussions in most venues are civil, so I'm not
sensing a need for an exception for technical spaces that results in a
limited-scope policy being applied in advance of developing a global
friendly space policy.

Pine