So we're looking at an eduroam deployment here, and one question that has come
up is one of credentials.  Here at NU, we have 2 identifiers - the NetID and
the alias.  All of the directories and the like are keyed off of the NetID,
which does not have to be the same as the alias.  Top-level email addresses
take the form <alias>@northwestern.edu.

Under a basic default eduroam deployment, a user would use
<netid>@northwestern.edu as his/her username to authenticate to the wireless
network.  This is not 100% ideal from an end user point of view, though, since
that could potentially lead to some confusion since at least here, netid rarely
is the same as alias.  Obviously, at some schools, netid = alias, so this is a
moot point, but have other schools encountered support/documentation issues
because of this?

As an alternative, has anyone looking into using a subdomain for the realm?
i.e., <netid>@eduroam.northwestern.edu?

I tried going through the FAQs and documentation at
<http://www.eduroamus.org/>, and there is some mention of avoiding subdomains
at <http://www.eduroamus.org/node/29>.

Personally, I think with good enough documentation we should be able to do the
standard <netid>@northwestern.edu without a lot of trouble, but we also need to
do due diligence and explore these options.  :)

Thanks!!

--
Julian Y. Koh
Manager, Network Transport, Telecommunications and Network Services