... We have the stats but are not publishing institution specific them for
privacy reasons.
http://www.eduroamus.org/node/232
I have testimonials from Schools like UCSD and UChicago that immediately
noticed hundreds of visitors on their campuses.
Drexel University, for instance, had 40 eduroam users the first day they turned
the SSID on.
In general large institutions are amazed at how many eduroam visitors they have
on campus.

This said, the largest benefit is to make your campus population compatible
with locations that heavily use
eduroam (e.g. if your study abroad students go to Europe or Australia). There
are places in Europe that
make very difficult to use anything else than eduroam.

To answer the "using eduroam as the main 1X network", we have seen schools
doing that very successfully.
(your are definitely ready to roam...just by using it at your school)
Here at UT Knoxville, we have opted to still keep the UTK branded 1x network
and the eduroam network together for a while
with the idea of getting rid of the UTK 1x (called ut-wpa2) in the future.
In reality this is just a beaconing difference...in the back we resolve people
that join eduroam with @utk.edu credentials
to the exact same VLANs as the people joining ut-wpa2.

To answer the sub-domain question: we pass to your University everything in the
form @*.university.edu
So you decide what to do.
If you have alias issues, in some cases, an installer like Xpressconnect  can
be very helpful

Best

Philippe Hanset
www.eduroamus.org
(eduroam is now an Internet2 NET+ Service)