Hey Julian,

We recently went through this after cranking up eduroam officially this
past fall.  We have similar points of confusion, plus a bonus.

Our email addresses are first-l...@utc.edu unless there are conflicts,
in which case we use a middle initial or a suffix.

Our official "UTCid" is a rather arbitrary string (3 letters, 3 numbers,
where that came from don't ask me, it was back in the "no-SSNs" conversion).

The directory key / userID is in fact the UTCid, and is typically used
as a login for everything.  It's also the Active Directory ID.

And now the bonus...  the AD domain is in fact utc.tennessee.edu (we're
a "branch" of the state's tennessee.edu domain), so there's already some
confusion as to using the tennessee.edu versus utc.edu.  Even worse...
there are root forest entries for ut...@tennessee.edu as well as
@utc.tennessee.edu.  And of course UTK started the whole eduroam thing,
and they're already taking tennessee.edu as local :( although they still
take utk.edu as well.

So we more or less got stuck with ut...@utc.edu to avoid the
domain/realm confusion with the big orange one.

I would advise you rig up your local .1X to authenticate with your
fully-qualified eduroam username, just so users can consistently login
with the same credentials (assuming you're not using eduroam for
production .1X).

Jeff