From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Julian Y Koh
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:47 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] latest from FCC on de-authing Mi-Fi

On Wed Feb 11 2015 09:22:55 CST, Bob Brown <bbr...@nww.com> wrote:

> Thought my recent interview with head of wireless for Partners
> Healthcare might be of interest re: the FCC de-authing discussion
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/article/2881540/careers/how-not-to-get-sla
> mmed-by-the-fcc-for-wi-fi-blocking.html

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned (or it's just as likely that I missed
it) is the situation where a user's AP is configured to broadcast the same
network name as one of our SSIDs.  Is there justification to use deauth as a
protective measure in those cases?

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services Northwestern

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/> PGP Public