From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of James Helzerman
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 11:14 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Disabling LEDs on APs

We disable all the LEDs in residence halls on our Cisco APs.  It hasnet caused
us much of a problem troubleshooting, you have the ability flash or turn on
individual lights if needed in case you have to identify an AP.

-Jimmy
University of Michigan

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Julian Y Koh
<kohs...@northwestern.edu<mailto:kohs...@northwestern.edu>> wrote:
On Tue Sep 06 2016 08:57:08 CDT, Lee H Badman
<lhbad...@syr.edu<mailto:lhbad...@syr.edu>> wrote:

> First-world problems… Curious if others have gone down this road in Residence
> Halls. We’re not really being asked to, but are considering wholesale
> disabling LEDs on our Cisco APs in the dorms as a quality of life step. Has
> this caused anyone any pain when it comes to not being able to see the colors
> on the AP as status indication? Have you actually had requests to disable the
> LEDs? Overall experience with accommodating or denying the request?

I can't remember the exact sequence of how all the conversations went, but when
we did a redesign to start moving the APs into the residence hall rooms, we
turned off the lights on those units.  I think we got a couple of reports where
residents were wondering if the APs were working, but overall not a big deal.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>
PGP Public Key:<http://bt.ittns.northwestern.edu/julian/pgppubkey.html>

James Helzerman
Wireless Network Engineer
University of Michigan - ITS Communications Systems and Data Centers
Phone: 734-615-9541