Hard core gamers will tell you wired is always better - they will also
blame latency for their lack of skill ;-)

However you CAN create a low latency small cell environment with
hospitality AP's, DFS enabled, and a careful 2.4 plan.

In the end you will still have issues with older clients and streaming
hogs, but it's the best you can do. Yes AX sounds promising but we are
years away from any meaningful adoption and bug fixes. (AC wave 2 came out
3 years ago...)

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 10:38 AM Biggs, Nathanael <nbiggs...@cedarville.edu>
wrote:

> High SNR and high RSSI are great, but most of the problems that I've
> experienced with our wireless come down to contention. Even if you've gone
> to a WAP-per-room wireless deployment in residential spaces, chances are
> you're still going to have 5-10 devices in each room.
>
> No matter how close you are to the AP, WiFi is still a contention-bound,
> half-duplex medium. This is exacerbated by everything Dan mentioned, but
> even with great WiFi, you're never going to get the low-latency full-duplex
> experience that you get with a wired connection (assuming that you do
> Gig-FD to your wired ports).
>
> Multiplayer games are really sensitive to latency, so any contention
> problems that automatically cause a device to back off from transmitting
> and wait for airtime could cause the problems you mentioned.
>
> 802.1ax is supposed to help a lot with this by breaking channels up in to
> sub-channels and scheduling airtime more effectively, but this will only
> work if every client that's talking has a fully-implemented, compliant AX
> chipset. No matter how up to date your AX WAP is, as soon as a legacy
> client chimes in, you're back to the contention-bound dark ages.
>
> This isn't to say that it's impossible to achieve performance sufficient
> for gamers on WiFi, but there are some physical limitations to the medium,
> especially when there's more than one device transmitting.
>
> Nathanael Biggs
> *Network Analyst*
> Information Technology
> *Adjunct Professor*
> School of Business Administration
> *Cedarville University*
> o: 937-766-7905
> www.cedarville.edu
> <https://twitter.com/cedarville>
> <https://www.youtube.com/user/cedarvilleu>
> <https://www.facebook.com/cedarville>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathanael-biggs-86595125/>
> <https://www.instagram.com/cedarville/>
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 10:19 AM Dan Lauing <lau...@mc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> Absolutely. And, this isn't meant to be rude, because we are going
>> through the same issues currently, but the only fix is better wireless.
>>
>> On the other hand, when students play from these consoles, they're really
>> setting your team up behind the eight ball. These devices love the 2.4
>> spectrum and in dorms like ours (ranging from 20-100 yrs old), it's tough
>> to make it work.
>>
>> The issue is unlikely a gaming specific issue. Gamers are just going to
>> be the first ones to notice, and then speak up, about anything going on
>> with the wireless.
>>
>> Do a packet capture and have a look at the retry rate where people are
>> complaining. I think that's a good starting point.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 9:08 AM Tom Mathews <tmathe...@udayton.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> This year we have decided to disable a substantial number of our wired
>>> drops on campus. Our studies have showed that less than 5% of the wired
> [...]

*John Turner* - *Head of Customer Success*
*jtur...@nyansa.com <jtur...@nyansa.com>*
(339) 225-0198
Join the Voyers Slack Community! <https://voyers-slack.nyansa.com/>