From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Tom Mathews
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 16:58
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Residential Wireless and Gaming

This year we have decided to disable a substantial number of our wired drops on
campus. Our studies have showed that less than 5% of the wired ports were used
in an academic year in our residential spaces.  For the most part we have very
few complaints, except when it comes to playing server based games, such as
Fortnite, Apex, Overwatch etc.  The users complain of things like "lag",
"Glitching" and "Rubber Banding".  At quick glance, the rssi and snr shouldn't
be an issue. They even state that access to campus resources and other internet
activity is not an issue.   We have not begun to deep dive into this issue.   I
am just curious if other folks have dealt with the same or similar issues with
gamers on the wireless networks, and what was the fix.

--

Thomas M. Mathews

Network Engineer

University of Dayton