We have 100% wireless residential halls with no ethernet option. We have a
single AP per room in our traditional residential complexes. We profile gaming
consoles and hand them a public IP address. We work with the students to make
sure they are on 5Ghz if their device supports it. We try to minimize any
interference from other devices in their rooms and their neighbors rooms.

During testing, the user will consistently get between 40Mb and 50Mb download
and upload speeds. Latency is always less than 20ms.

The gamers still complain about lagging and glitching and rubber banding.

You can provide amazing bandwidth and minimize latency as much as you want, but
there is nothing you can do about the jitter that is inherent in a Wi-Fi
network. Especially as groups of people congregate by the elevator (which
happens to be right outside of this particular student’s room).

As others have pointed out, there is no real fix.

We haven’t decided to let the students plug in yet, but we are discussing it.

/ Stephen Belcher
Director of Network Operations and Telecommunications
WVU Information Technology Services
One Waterfront Place / PO Box 6500
Morgantown, WV  26506

(304) 293-8440 office