From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 10:47 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Brief report from FCC visit

We just got back from FCC and FTC visits yesterday.  A couple notes...

1) Both meetings had full staff attending, which I consider an honor.  Each
meeting lasted about 2 hours.

2) Some of the WISPs had to cancel due to weather, but 3 made it, George
Rigoto, Brent Anderson, and myself Tom DeReggi.

3) One thing was clear without a doubt. They are somewhat pissed that all
WISPs are NOT filling From 477.  I think the general concensus was that
maybe only 10% were? The FCC primarilly stayed on the arguement that it
wasn't a choice, it was law.  But I could see it in their eyes that it was
more than that, possibly even hurtful. After all that they have been doing
for us, that the single only thing that they asked of us, we couldn't even
bother to do. I tell you, we will alienate our friends at the FCC, if we do
not cooperate.  EVERYONE must file Form 477.  They did Thank WISPA for
helping in  promoting the need to file. We talked a bit about why we thought

some WISPs weren't filing. But anyway we looked at it, any reason not to was

a false fear. The Form 477 is not intertwined with the taxation department,
it is not intertwined with the Enforcement beaurow for illegal gear. They
aren't giving the data to our competition. And the data they collect is to
broad to even do us harm if it was disclosed.  So if you are a WISP, please
file.  I personally am working on my Form today, and plan on sending it in
Monday.  I personally won't make the mistake of not filing, again.

4) We discussed the option for self/group effort to certifying gear
combinations. It won't be an option that will be viable. It must be a
"Manufacturer" that applied for equipment certification, as there must be an

accountable/responsible/liable party.  A group applying for certification,
would have to take liabilty and prove their ability to be able to be
accountable.  I'm not the police and not going to tell you what to use, but
any way you slice it, make your own StarOS / Mikrotik gear is illegal
(non-certified) in the US.  The only way to not be illegal, is to buy it
from a manufacturer that has certified their combination,  or you become a
manufacturer yourself and apply for certification of your combination.  The
fact that XYZ certified the combination, does not make your combination
certified. UNLESS you convince XYZ  to be responsible and liable for the
compliance of the gear that you bought elsewhere. A MPCI card and antenna is

not enough to be a certified system. There are other components involved
like Main boards and cases, and testing gear during the QC stage to verify
compliance.

But there is nothing wrong with a group of people taking up a collection to
help a manufactuer pay for certifying their combination.

The grey area is it is also in the new rules that all the components (such
as antenna and cables) don't necessarilly have to be bought from the
manufacturer, if they are the same products bought elsewhere.  So if a
manufacturer certified a complete combination, and discloses what components

were in it, technically it could be argued that it is that same product as
the manufacturers, if the same oem parts were used.  But legally that won't
completely fly either, because there is no FCC sticker that was issued to
the manufactuer, and there is no one accountable for it.  So technically, at

least one major component of the solution would have to be certified where
you'd get the sticker from the manufacturer.  So legally we may be able to
substitute antenna, but that is not the same thing as saying you are allowed

to just build your own radio system from scratch.

5) Enforcement-   The FCC was clear on the issue that the rules are the
rules, period.  But they also said, when reporting a complaint, it should be

defined the details. Complaints are prioritized by severity, and more severe

violation will be given higher priority to enforce. The mentons a very low
number of complaints we filed. They stated enforcement is a reality, but it
requires someone to complain, and disclose facts for the FCC to know
something is needing investigation.

6) 5.4G violations. They were very concerned that some gear on the market
may be able to illegally be configured to use 5.4Ghz without going through
the certification process for compliance. They are much more concerned on
the compliace of 5.4 gear because the importance NOT TO INTERFERE with DOD
applications.  So using uncertified 5.4 gear is on the Radar for
enforcement, without sympathy.   They did however say its a full green light

for manufacturers to apply for certification, already two manufacturers have

passed 5.4G certification testing.

So I'm begging StarOS and/or MIkrotik, to go through the 5.4Ghz
certification testing, so your software can be proven to work and comply, so

third party manufactuers will certify your solutions for resale, and we can
start using 5.4Ghz.  The FCC did their job, now its time for the
manufacturers to do theirs.  The same request goes out to all the name brand

vendors like Trango, Alvarion, and Whoever else. 5,4Ghz certified gear is
the next big market for manufacturers.

7) Otard- Otard will never be extended to include standalone broadcast
antennas. However, the existing rules do have some provisions for mesh with
multiple radios. The primary point is that if a radio's primary roles is
that of a subscriber antenna and meet the physical specifications of a
subscriber antenna, it does not matter if it also has an AP built-in or a
second antenna built in, it is still considered a subscriber antenna and
protected by OTARD. That is good news.

That about covers it for FCC visit. As for the FTC visit, its a little
harder to put my finger on what we accomplished. The converstation went all
over the place. The primary goal was to show them what a wisp was. It also
was a very good meeting, its just hard to summarize. Maybe I'll try
tommorrow. One of the guys gave us a report, that is also on the FTC website

for download, that was very informative on Muni broadband.  When I have the
business cards in front of me tommorrow, I'll try and find and post names
and links. But I think we made some new friends there. The task force (who
we met with) seemed very eager to help us.

George or Brett, feel free to jump in with comments, if I got anything wrong

or you have something to add.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband