Tom DeReggi wrote:
<! --- SNIP --- >
4) We discussed the option for self/group effort to certifying gear combinations. It won't be an option that will be viable. It must be a "Manufacturer" that applied for equipment certification, as there must be an accountable/responsible/liable party. A group applying for certification, would have to take liabilty and prove their ability to be able to be accountable. I'm not the police and not going to tell you what to use, but any way you slice it, make your own StarOS / Mikrotik gear is illegal (non-certified) in the US. The only way to not be illegal, is to buy it from a manufacturer that has certified their combination, or you become a manufacturer yourself and apply for certification of your combination. The fact that XYZ certified the combination, does not make your combination certified. UNLESS you convince XYZ to be responsible and liable for the compliance of the gear that you bought elsewhere. A MPCI card and antenna is not enough to be a certified system. There are other components involved like Main boards and cases, and testing gear during the QC stage to verify compliance.

So are you saying that a PCMCIA card with software and internal antenna is not certified?

No one has yet to answer this question for me. Is it legal for Best Buy to sell DLink/Linksys/Netgear/Belkin/... pcmcia cards for laptops? What about USB dongles? If they are legal how is they can certify a card and drivers, but we can't certify a minipci with software?

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless