Mike,

My personal opinion is... in 5Ghz, Wimax is not the ideal solution.
In 5.3-4 G, the allowable power is not high enough.
In 5.8G, there is to much noise, from traditional legacy gear.
We proved that in our trials 4 years ago, beta testing Aperto, pre-Wimax.
It wasn't affordable to deploy a small channel and waste polarity with
diversity, based on tower colo costs.
In DC for example, we were lucky to get 1.5mbps total throughout, on a 6Mhz
channel capable of 16-20mbps in the lab.
Diversity helps get around NLOS, but it also prevents muting out
interference on the non-needed polarity.
In DC, only Spatial diversity was viable, because Spatial diversity does not
pickup out of polarity noise.
But we found, polarity diversity is really what best helped get around NLOS.
Many of the WiMax vendors are working towards 5.8Ghz platforms, but
personally, I think these are really only ideal for deployments to new
underserved areas.
Its a different stroy in areas of low noise or low cost to colocate, where
mobile/NLOS is the goal and not high capacity.
Many will disagree with me, but that is my opinion.
I personally think, Alvarions existing unlicensed VL or Newer less expensive
line products are more preferred than their Wimax in the 5.8 band.

In 3.6, I think WiMax is needy for the advanced WiMax feature. Because it is
virgin spectrum still. But it will be interesting to see how it all plays
out, as more providers all try and use it in one area.

My experience is of course based on old gear. The questions that I ask is
whether the newer more advanced WiMax level gear has also added any new
noise cancellation techniques to combine with diversity, so that diversity
can be used more often, without a negative effect if noise exists on the
other pol?
The maximum benefit in gain was gained via receive diversity. A beam turning
90 deg out of pol could degrade over 20db, where as pol diverse signal
transmitted only adds a db or so, only because the gain is contracdicted by
the loss associated with splitting the signal. Transmit diversity does
however, have other benefits, as we know with Mimo style designs, and beam
steering technologies.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband